Wednesday, February 24, 2010

First Impressions (or second)


It seems funny to think about first impressions 6 months after first arriving but I felt as if that was exactly what I was getting when I flew into Asuncion in January. Perhaps a bit of time back at home and in Buenos Aires was enough to open my eyes. Flying in all I could think was green. There sure are a lot of trees in Asuncion. It really is quite a green city. My taxi driver was complaining about the traffic at 1:30 in the afternoon and while I have to admit there was some it still only took 30 minutes to get me home. I know its worse around 5:00 but you have to realize that nowhere in the city has more than two lanes in one direction. So the amount of traffic can’t begin to compare with the eight lanes of congestion you get in other cities. Asuncion really is a sleepy sort of capital city.

Houses are set close to the road; the idea of a front yard is not very practices. Houses jut up just past the sidewalk and the space is left for green in the more private backyards. I’m not sure if I would say there are individual lots, space is well used here and it seems that one building grows out of the walls of its neighbors – only wall color giving an indication as to where one ends and the next begins. What other differences will I notice as I continue to look around the city with my eyes actually opened now, instead of just focusing on my survival?

No comments:

Post a Comment