Wednesday, May 11, 2011

[Traveling Tale] Recoleta Cemetery

Another lion door knockerSemana Santa (Holy Week) was while my mom was here visiting. A week off of school meant, of course, a trip to somewhere. After several failed attempts to sort out a new destination for me, I decided that we would just spend the week in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Even though I had been there twice before, I have to admit that having someone with me, and the amount of time we had, meant I still got to see (and notice) all sorts of new things. One of the things that really stood out to me was when we went to Recoleta to see Evita's grave. Now don't get me wrong, it is kind of interesting to see where important people are buried, but I am much more interested in the strange beauty that a cemetery holds. This time though, I kept getting distracted by the door knockers I saw on mausoleums. Door knockers. On a mausoleum. As if you would want to knock to see if someone is in there. No thank you. I don't want to know if someone would actually answer a knock to the door. Does this not seem like a somewhat strange addition to a family mausoleum? I certainly hope I won't ever experience a spirit answering my knock. But I tell you, there were numerous vaults sporting this graceful addition. Creepy!

No comments:

Post a Comment