Friday, April 2, 2010

[Traveling Tale] Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay


You could be forgiven being surprised when I tell you I've actually spent the last week in Uruguay. It just seems that the only time I actually have to write about a vacation is when I'm on another one. The week of Semana Santa, the holy week before Easter, sees me with a week vacation from school. And of course, a week off means another opportunity to travel.

This time I decided to focus on two cities/towns - two days in Montevideo (which has been fairly uninspiring so you probably won't hear anything else about it) and the rest of the time in Colonia del Sacramento. A UNESCO world heritage site set along the banks of the Rio Plata, across from Buenos Aires, about all I knew before arriving was that it was an old colonial town. A part of me worried that it would be similar to Cartegena but except for sections of overflowing flowers that ended up not being true at all. Think cobblestone streets, an area of about six square blocks, every street running down to the white balustrade around the water. An old lighthouse, still functioning, where it only requires 118 stairs to get to the top. The oldest church in Uruguay (1680) surprisingly simple sitting next to a small square. Colorful sunsets over the water and harbor. Old stone buildings set next to taller tile and stucco houses. A wooden, golden spiral sculpture that called to my math teacher soul. Combine all that together with some pleasant green spaces and a population that doesn't hassle and you get a very pleasant place to unwind and relax for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment