Sunday, August 30, 2009

This is the southern hemisphere


For the most part, I don’t really realize that I am in the southern hemisphere now. Sure, sure, I know that the water is suppose to swirl the other way when it goes down the drain, but honestly I can’t say I ever watch the water whirl down the toilet bowl. I did think that I might get to see some of the constellations I learned while living in Australia that aren’t visible from the northern hemisphere (the southern cross being the one I know I could pick out) only I don’t seem to the stars very much. I’m not sure if it is because there are too many lights in the city, because the stars aren’t visible or just because I’m not looking up at night. So it is kind of a relief to get the occasional reminder that this is below the equator. And that reminder has come out in full bloom this week. We are entering spring here in all the color and fragrance that means. If it weren’t for all the plants flowering I’d say we skipped right from winter to summer (it reached 91 degrees today, I’m not sure what that means for the summer to come). As it is I’m fully enjoying the trees covered in pink – the lapacho tree is the Paraguayan national tree, and after they burst into full bloom this week I can understand why. The walk to school has definitely gotten prettier, and I’m hoping all the flowers will stay around a bit longer to keep adding color to my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment