Sunday, September 6, 2009

Football fever


“Are you going to watch the game, Ms?” was a question I heard several times this past week. Each time I had to stop and think a minute before I realized what my students were talking about was the match between Paraguay and Bolivia. The national team was playing as part of the World Cup qualifying and it has become clear to me that this country gets behind their team. As I was walking around today I noticed the red and white stripes of the Paraguayan national team jersey swaying on a line at almost every main intersection. “Buy here, support your team today,” they seemed to whisper to me. I walked into the grocery store only to notice that every single cashier was bedecked in red and white instead of their normal uniform polo. Out on the street cars flew past with small Paraguayan flags sticking up from a window. A few enthusiastic individuals had huge flags completely over their cars, making it seem as if they were just waiting for an excuse to use the cap to fly away. Even some of the guard stands were sporting the red, white and blue stripes of the Paraguayan flag. Clearly there is much love and pride for the football team here (and don’t even doubt for a moment that I’m speaking of what North Americans would call soccer). I had to laugh when an email went out on Friday saying that the school extravaganza that is going on tonight will be starting a bit earlier than planned so that you can come “watch the game on the big screen.” An acknowledgment that the only way to get people to a competing event is to draw them in with match. I’m still not sure if I’ll watch the game, although I have no doubt I’ll hear of the result soon enough. And I still don’t have my own red and white striped jersey. I have a feeling it is just a matter of time before I give in and buy one, around the same time I manage to score tickets to watch the team play (hopefully).

[I talked to a few people after the game, they were quick to inform me Paraguay won 1-0 but they were a bit disgusted that they could only win by one goal. At least it was a win!]

1 comment: