Thursday, September 10, 2009

In the paper


I had to laugh a bit when shortly after I arrived at school on Monday someone excitedly came up to tell me that my picture was in the paper. What?!? Oh yeah, that’s right. When I was at the school “Extravaganza” a parent-alumni-teacher celebration a woman asked if she could take a picture of me and two of my friends and then had us write down our names. Turns out the newspapers in Asuncion still have a society page (or entire section) and we were at the front of it on Sunday. This will tell you a bit about the type of circle our parents are in. Especially when I tell you that they also appeared at our school picnic the week before (during which my roommate was also photographed and put in – she’s now been in the paper twice having been in Paraguay less than two months). The whole thing just seems a bit odd to me. It seems that we were the token foreigners to be included to give an idea of how “international” our school is. I can’t say I ever would have thought I’d be in the society pages, which just goes to show that you should never say never. At least I had a fairly enjoyable evening with a mini Chinese buffet and a DJ to dance to after 1 am. I’m beginning to think that I will never be able to predict what will come next.

1 comment:

  1. Should I say lucky you? I'm not sure, your students must be soo spoiled!? But not knowing what'll come next must make everything so exciting!? I'm so jealous you had to dance after 1am that's somenthing I'm dreaming on since we arrived here last year! Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete