Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's getting hot down here


It’s getting hot down here, not that this is any real surprise. After all one of the big draws of Paraguay for me was that I would be moving back to a country that was predominantly warm and sunny. The heat definitely suits me more than the cold. The real sign for me that summer was truly coming here was when all of the street corner vendors start displaying pool floats and blow up pools. At times they seem to call to me saying “you know you need a way to cool of once you’re back at your house.” Most of the well off (and middle class) families have some sort of pool in their backyard. Most of the time the pool is just big enough to cool off in not the sort you would do any exercise in. Sadly that is the one thing our house doesn’t have. The way we’ve been debating the blow up pools lately, it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with one our back porch though. In the meantime I’m stuck trying to figure out how to talk about the seasons. I know this is summer, or soon to be, but at the same time I’m considering the approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and wondering how they can really take place in a season that is not fall or winter. Talking to folks back home just makes me even more confused, is my upcoming break from school the summer break or winter break? It will be summer here, but I’ll be returning to visit winter for a good part of it. How to keep it all straight in my head? Perhaps I’ll just stick with saying it’s hot down here.

1 comment:

  1. I've been confused by all of this, too. So I just refer to the break as "the holiday." Or the Dec/Jan holiday vs. the June/July holiday.

    And I'm still not sure how to decorate for Christmas in the summer. They have all of the traditional trappings here, but they just don't feel right in the heat.

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete