Tuesday, November 10, 2009

White ribbon campaign


White ribbons for hope. I am starting to see them all over the areas of Asuncion that I walk in. It started out with white strips of fabric and plastic tied onto car antennae and luggage racks. It expanded to grace the gates and doors of houses around the town. Now it has expanded to include white ribbon stickers, bracelets, stickers stating “together for a safer Paraguay”, and posters proclaiming “White Ribbon campaign for peace in Paraguay”. I have even seen my students out on the street by school asking if they could attach a ribbon onto the cars stopped at the stoplight. What is this all for, and why are my students involved? Sadly, a few weeks ago a man was kidnapped here. He happens to be the uncle to several of the students at school and part of one of the largest families that I’ve been exposed to through the school (yes, this is exactly the type of students I teach). What is going to happen? Who knows – it is a situation which leaves many people feeling helpless. There is no telling what will happen. I have no idea if they are attempting to pay the ransom, or if they could even gather enough money if they wanted. The most that the majority of us can do is hope. Hope for a good outcome. Hope that things turn out in a way that won’t traumatize the family any more. For my part I am trying to give all of the nephews I teach (they all seem to be boys in the high school) the most normal continuation of life as they deal with this turmoil. Students and teachers have banded together for this campaign of hope, as a show of solidarity for the family. There isn’t much more I can do, except to remember to hope each time I see a flutter of white in the air.

(Please don’t worry about me….as far as I can tell something like this only happens once every couple of years, besides teachers don’t make enough money to be worthwhile!)

No comments:

Post a Comment